Wednesday, February 1, 2012

High cost of working in America

After receiving a pay cut yesterday. I sat down and considered the cost of working working in the suburbs vs anywhere accessible by rapid transit.

Annual cost of car ~ $8000 http://www.edmunds.com/tco.html
Annual cost of transit ~ $1000

OR

If I decided to take transit into the inaccessible suburbs.
Total commute time by car ~ 45mins * 2 = 1 1/2 hours
Total commute time by transit ~ 2 1/2 hr * 2 = 5 hours (each way 5 bus connections, with bus service at 1/2hr intervals. )
lost income as result of daily 5hr commute ~ $9000
----------------------
To pay for the extra cost of working in the suburbs without transit access is about $10/hr.

I will happily work in city serviced by good transit for $10/hr less. This high cost for working is why America "Canada/USA" can NOT compete. It affects me personally and I HATE it.

No comments: